Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wie WDs from John Deere


Finally, Michelle Wie has done something right -- withdraw from next month's John Deere Classic.

If you missed the small item in the news last night, the teen phenom from Honolulu has pulled out of the PGA Tour, where she has enjoyed sponsor's exemptions, saying she needs more to heal her ailing wrist. Frankly, I don't know which is more injured these days, her wrist or her pride, but she's smart to get away from the game and the glare of the spotlight for a while.

In the weeks since Wie WD'ed from the Ginn Tribute hosted by Annika, she has been pounded in the media. At the McDonalds LPGA Championship a couple of weeks ago, the long knives really came out for her -- from the media, the players and the LPGA.

Almost in unison, everyone said Wie's parents, B.J. and Bo, need to give her more space, stop micromanaging her life, let her grow up a little. Wie herself took heat, too. Annika Sorenstam called her out. In Sports Illustrated this week, Dottie Pepper, the former LPGA player who writes a column, said Wie comes off these days as a "self-centered, unapologetic brat."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Following is the official press release from the John Deere regarding her WD.

MICHELLE WIE WITHDRAWS FROM 2007 JOHN DEERE CLASSIC

EAST MOLINE, IllinoisMichelle Wie has withdrawn from the 2007 John Deere Classic to continue to rehabilitate her injured wrist, tournament officials announced today.

"This has been a particularly difficult decision to make because of the support I have received from the John Deere Classic and everyone in the Quad Cities," Wie said. "I want to thank John Deere for offering me this tremendous opportunity. I hope I get the chance to go back and play there again."

The decision comes as Wie is rehabilitating from a wrist injury suffered earlier this year.

“I’m just coming back from an injury,” said Wie. “While my rehabilitation is on schedule, I do not have all of my strength back yet. The TPC Deere Run course is obviously very long, and I just don’t have the length to play there right now. I do intend to play in the U.S. Women’s Open, and to continue competing throughout the summer to help myself gain strength and get back to where I want to be.”

Tournament officials were supportive of Wie’s decision.

"The John Deere Classic has long been a supporter of Michelle Wie and we remain so today," said John Deere Classic tournament director Clair Peterson. "We support Michelle's decision and we sincerely hope she continues on the path to reach her full potential in every aspect of her life. We look forward to welcoming her back when the time is right."

The John Deere Classic is a PGA Tour event to be played July 12-15 at the Tournament Players Club Deere Run in Silvis, Ill. Last year's champion John Senden will defend his title against 155 other of the world's top golfers, including Masters Champion Zach Johnson.

No comments: