Thursday, June 21, 2007

Phil's sorry


In an open letter on his website, Phil Mickelson says that after he missed the cut at the U.S. Open, he said some things out of frustraton that may have been a little "out of line."

As we say in newspapers, here's the "nut" graf:

I have to say Oakmont was a bitter disappointment to me. Not the Open, really, despite what I said on Friday, but not being able to prepare properly for it. I tried as hard as I could with a wrist that was far less than 100 percent. It’s the national championship and the event I want to win most. But being injured for really the first time in my career, aside from a broken leg years ago, and not being able to follow the routine that’s served me pretty well over the last three years was really frustrating. It’s probably why I said some of the things I did on Friday and some of them may have been a little out of line. It was frustration talking. I’ll be a little smarter about my preparation for majors in coming years, although I’ll continue with some variation of my routine. Without it, there’s no way I would have come within a shot of making the cut, let alone shooting 74 in the first round.

No comments: