Sunday, June 11, 2006

Annika on the 2-stroke penalty

Annika Sorenstam was dinged with a 2-stroke penalty during the third round of the McDonald's LPGA Championship for moving a loose divot. Here's her explanation of what happened.

Q. Talk about the ruling.
ANNIKA SORENSTAM: Well, it was a mistake I made. I was next to a divot and the divot was in two pieces and it was totally replaced in a really horrible way. So I moved the divot and that's against the rules. It's a mistake of mine.

Q. Did you know it was against the rules? When did you realize it was against the rules?
ANNIKA SORENSTAM: Well, Karrie told me I couldn't do it. And I said, well, it looked like somebody grabbed some turf and just stuck it anywhere. I mean it was loose, it was totally I didn't know. I knew it was a divot. Like I say, it was my fault, but I just, I was in I mean, the ball didn't move or anything, it was just totally sloppy done. And I didn't think more of it.

Q. Did you try and replace it?
ANNIKA SORENSTAM: No, I was demonstrating to Karrie what it was. So I mean, but it was too late because that had nothing to do with it.

Q. How much did that affect you?
ANNIKA SORENSTAM: Well, it's a mistake I made. I mean that's just the way it is. I mean, it wasn't that I hit some horrible shots today. I'm not getting any breaks whatsoever and mixed with that, it makes it very, very tough.

Q. You still in this?
ANNIKA SORENSTAM: Well, I got to give it all tomorrow. I mean, to avoid penalty strokes. I mean, I have four shots and two pins, you know, in four holes. I mean, that's right there is six shots. I could be tied for the lead. And that's still with really horrible shots. So it's never too late but things got to change.

No comments: