Saturday, June 16, 2007

Angel Cabrera post-round interview

Highlights from U.S. Open leader Angel Cabrera's post-round interview on Saturday.

USGA: We are now joined by Angel Cabrera with a round of 71, 1-over par this afternoon, 140, even par for the championship. Perhaps you could start us off with some general comments with your thoughts on leading the U.S. Open Championship after two rounds.

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, of course, I had two very good rounds. At the beginning I didn't think that I was going to be here at the moment, but at this point I'm going to try to make the most of it.

Q. Your birdie on the last hole knocked out a lot of players; what are your thoughts on knocking so many players out with that birdie?

ANGEL CABRERA: Yes, I was thinking about my game, so I wasn't thinking about who was not going to be here on the weekend. I'm sorry for all of the guys that are left out.

Q. How do you feel standing over that approach shot on 18?

ANGEL CABRERA: Yes, that was my last big shot, so I was definitely very concentrating, trying to make the best shot possible.

Q. One of the players knocked out was Phil Mickelson; what will you say the next time you see him or what do you think he might say to you the next time you see him?

ANGEL CABRERA: I did not knock out Mickelson, Mickelson knocked out himself so I don't think I have to say anything. He shot 11-over par.

Q. You've been in contention in majors before; what's the one that you felt like you had the best chance of winning to this point?

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, I think I have a very good chance, I'm playing very well. So the tournament starts tomorrow, so I have to play well on the weekend.

Q. Maybe I didn't ask it correctly. I was saying in the past you've been on leaderboards in major championships before. Of those, which one do you feel like you had the best chance of winning?

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, I was leading in Augusta some years ago, and I had a very good chance then. Now I think I have a good one now again.

Q. You've had some good success at the U.S. Open before; to what do you credit that?

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, I think it's a great tournament, and I play it because it's a major.

Q. They say your nickname is "Pato"; where did that come from and how do you translate that?

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, they call me "El Pato" because my father was called "Pato." That means "the duck."

Q. Could you just briefly describe life growing up in Argentina, your family life, what was it like, where did you grow up? Can you just give us some background on who you are and where you're from?

ANGEL CABRERA: Well, I grew up in Cordoba. I started as a caddie at Cordoba Golf Club when I was ten years old, and when I turned 20, I turned pro. From then on, well, golf has been my life.

No comments: