Monday, May 12, 2008

Goydos


Personally, I was pulling for Paul Goydos to win The Players Championship.

I’ve been a sort of closet Goydos fan for about 10 years, ever since we waited out a rain delay together at some tournament somewhere. I don’t even remember what tournament it was; I just remember the skies opened up, I was out at the far end of the golf course, and I ran for the nearest shelter, where, it turned out, Goydos, his caddie and maybe three or four others also had taken refuge.

I also remember Goydos was every bit the wry wit that day as he was on TV with Bob Costas over the weekend at TPC Sawgrass.

At the time, I barely knew who Goydos was. He hadn’t won a tournament yet or otherwise attracted much attention. In fact, he was fighting just to get into tournaments and make enough money to keep his PGA Tour card. I distinctly remember him talking about how he worked as a substitute teacher back home in Long Beach on weeks he didn’t get into tournaments.

Ever since then, I’ve had Goydos pegged as a pretty normal guy, and as someone who will stand there and talk to you and offer thoughtful, honest answers to questions on a wealth of topics. It’s also hard not respect Goydos for surviving out there among the studs and bombers.

The guy is 43, he’s a single dad with two teenage daughters, he’s got a last name that sounds like a growth on your neck and he’s built like a penguin. What's not to like?

You happen to catch his retort on Saturday, after Costas asked him why he kept his top shirt button buttoned in 90-plus heat.

“I’ve got no shoulders,” said Goydos. “It’s the only way my shirt stays on.”

3 comments:

The Muni Golfer said...

I have to agree, Paul Goydos is a golfer you can't help pulling for. John Feinstein did an excellent job of capturing the true Paul Goydos in his first golf book, "A Good Walk Spoiled." Also, if I remember correctly, I think Goydos may have been sponsored by The Pep Boys not too long ago.

Anonymous said...

I too have bee following Goydos--ever since, in fact, John Feinstein's book A Good walk Spoiled, where he focused on PG and, as I recall, Brian henninger, as two honest journeymen in a world of prima donnas. He also listed Goydos as perhaps the only card-carrying Democrat in a PGA clubhouse which, if polled [at that time] wpuld have voted overwhelmingly for Pat Buchanan!

tina said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes
Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes