Tuesday, November 28, 2006

17th at Sawgrass and me


I've covered the Players Championship at TPC Sawgrass eight or 10 times but I played the course for the first time today. Never mind what happened anywhere but at the notorious island green 17th.


On a clear, warm, still day the hole was playing 122 yards, an awkward yardage for me between a PW and a 9-iron. The pin was down in the front quadrant of the green. Rather than try to bull a PW, I decided to smooth a 9-iron. Naturally, I over-smoothed it, and the ball ker-plunked in the water inches short of making the green.


Bummed about my first encounter at the 17th, I re-teed and proceeded to hit a second shot that was right at the flag. It landed three feet past the pin and spun back to a foot. I very nearly had a Fred Couples "par." Instead, I tapped in for bogey. No complaints.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whaddya mean playing 17 at 122y? You should've gone back to the pro tees at 140y. I did. Twice. Parred it both times. Once on a windy day I hit a 6 iron and the next day I hit an 8 iron. Piece of cake. Same with 17 at Kiawah Ocean.

Anonymous said...

And he's modest too.....