Monday, July 17, 2006

Tiger on the British Open, LeBron

A few tidbits from Tiger Woods' July newsletter to fans...

By Tiger Woods

I love the British Open. Any time you win that championship, it's pretty special. It's the oldest one in our sport. I've got a couple of Claret Jug replicas at home that I look at from time to time, and the names on the trophy are pretty amazing: Old Tom Morris, Harry Vardon, Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead. It's an honor to have my name on there twice.

I honestly don't know anything about Royal Liverpool, but I'll play three or four practice
rounds and that should be enough time to prepare. The key is to make sure you do your
homework and find out what the golf course will allow you to do.

It was the same with Royal Birkdale, Royal Lytham & St. Annes, Carnoustie and St. Andrews. It's not like I haven't done it before. We play around the world and learn different golf courses in a day or two. It's part of playing golf. I think people are making too big a deal out of the fact that the tournament hasn't been played at Hoylake since 1967.

Geez, time flies when you're making millions...

Next month (Aug. 29) marks my 10th year on the PGA Tour. It's hard to believe the time has
gone by that fast. It doesn't feel like I've been out here that long, but after a while, it all blends in with the same golf courses, hotels, restaurants and volunteers. No way did I think I would have accomplished what I've accomplished in the game. It's quite remarkable, actually. In 1996, I was just hoping to earn my PGA Tour card and prove I belonged.


A bunch of things have changed since I started: the money involved; the physical fitness of
players; technology, especially the size of driver heads; and the length of golf courses. I
feel very fortunate to make a living playing a game I love and look forward to the next 10
years.

Pity the fool who only makes $20 mil a year...

Speaking of money, I just read that LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers signed a new
three-year contract for $60 million. Obviously, that's a great deal, but I wouldn't trade
places with him. Most NBA players only have two options: a team contract and a shoe deal.
That's the only exposure they get.


No comments: